CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, May 11, 2008

What is a mother?

Today is mother's day and I got thinking about the concept of "mother". The day does have a different feel now that I have kids of my own, but I have a very different concept of what a mother is. Throughout my life, I have come in contact with so many women who have had a hand in shaping who I am and have played a part in being "my mother."

First, there is Vicki who gave birth to me.
She became a mother way too young and wasn't ready for the responsibilities that come with it. We didn't have contact for a lot of years and are just now having contact through mail. But, without her I wouldn't have life, so she is a mom.

Next is my Grandma, Millie.
She has chosen to be my mother in so many ways. She was there when I came home from the hospital and I know she is still there for me today. She gave me a home and taught me how to make my own. She loves me no matter what and she is someone I look up to, she is a mom.

My Aunt Lesli.
She was always there in the stands cheering for me at my high school sporting events. People always thought she was my mom even though we know she is way too young to be my mom. She has been through a lot and has made choices to be in the right places. I admire her determination to do what is right, she is a mom.

My Aunt JoLynn.
She was the "older sister" I wanted to tag along with when I was a little girl. She tolerated me and continued to be there for me as I grew older. Hers was the first car I drove after getting my driver's license. We have been through some tough times together. Lots of laughter and lots of tears. She is a righteous daughter of God and I would trust her to raise Tanner if anything happened to me. She is someone I look up to, she is a mom.

My Mother in law, Ruth Barth.
She is a woman strong in her convictions who did her best to raise a family in righteousness. She taught her son to treat women with respect and how to be a father. She raised a strippling warrior who has become my husband. She gave me an eternal companion, she is a mom.

My Aunt Beverly.
I didn't get to know her until I was in my twenties. She is the sister of my father. It is a lesson in genetics. We are alike even though we didn't know each other. She has chosen to be a mom to 2 young men who are growing up strong in the gospel. Even though we don't always talk, I know she loves me, she is a mom.

Dorothy Rich.
She was a mom of some of my high school friends. She also chose to be a mom to me when I needed one the most. I was able to watch her interaction with her kids and it helped to shape the kind of a mother I wanted to be someday. She was there in good times and bad. She told me when she was disappointed in me, yet I always knew she loved me. She was a blessing from Heavenly Father, she is a mom.

Sandy Toftdahl.
She was assigned to be my visiting teacher in my ward here in Oregon. She was the first visiting teacher I ever had who actually took the time to get to know me and made me feel that she cared. She helped me to learn that asking for help did not mean I was weak or a failure. We have developed a great friendship and she has stepped in to be a Grandma to Tanner on more than one occasion. She is a friend I can lean on, she is a mom.

I realize I can go on and on but I won't. I guess the point is that Mother's Day is an important day for so many reasons. We need to not only recognize the mother that gave us life, but those other mothers around us that have taught us how to live. To all of you wonderful women that I know, thank you. Thank you for helping me to find the right path and for helping me to be the woman I am today. One who proudly states, "I am Tanner's Mom!"

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.