CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, June 13, 2008

Summer is here!

Another school year has come and gone and I am now the mother of a 2nd grader. It seems like the year just got started and here it is already over. Where does the time go? The past couple of months have gone especially fast because Tanner has been so busy. He had a chance to play the fiddle at school. The parent association paid to have a fiddler come in and teach the kids. Each kid got their own fiddle to play while he was there. Tanner did pretty well. I was very proud of him. He didn't want to give the fiddle back when it was over.

Here he is sawing away on the fiddle.

Tanner also had a busy spring sport season as he played both soccer and baseball. He missed some time when he was sick but he did pretty well. It kept me busy as I was trying to coordinate his practices and games to get him where he needed to be. He was a really good defensive player in soccer and was very proud to learn how to hit in baseball. Here is one of his hits from a baseball game.


He was quite the slugger.

Tanner also had a chance to do his first science project complete with an oral presentation during the last couple of weeks at school. He decided to do it on ants. He made a poster that showed the life cycle of an ant, an ant tunnel, what ants like to eat, different types of ants in a colony, and a queen ant laying eggs. I was able to be there when he did his speech and I was a very proud mama .

We wrapped up the school year with field day at school. Too bad the weather missed the summer memo. It was a bit chilly but the kids still enjoyed being outside. The parents had several stations set up around the school and the kids rotated every 15 minutes. At one station, they had a water brigade challenge and they got a whole lot of water on each other and the ground as well as in the bucket at the end. They all had a great time.

All in all, it has been a great 1st grade year for him. He loved his teacher and at the end of the day today he told me he already misses school. I am glad he loves it and that he loves learning. He has great friends and great teachers. So as much as it is tough to say goodbye to 1st grade, I know there is much to come next year. Bring on the 2nd grade!

3 comments:

rachel said...

What fun he's had!
I loved the water relay game at Field Day at the girls' school. It's so fun to watch. (Although one year they dragged me into it. Luckily I managed not to get too wet!)
What a great mama you are.

JoLynn said...

He is quite talented. We watched the video of him playing the violin and were quite impressed. Enjoy him. He will be grown and on his mission in no time. I love reading your blog and keeping up with your happenings!

JoLynn said...

oops...the fiddle